Imagine making a fresh batch of homemade warm chocolate cookies with gooey chocolate chunks and chewy crispy edges. Someone comes home to the smell of sweet chocolate and doesn’t even realize when they bite into the cookie- that it is VEGAN.
Yes, these cookies that I have made can likely easily fool a non-vegan when you hand them the double chocolate chunk cookie fresh out of the oven. There is still a lot of skepticism on vegan desserts but generally the ones I have had always seem to be good, if not even better sometimes than the real stuff.
Originally I had used a recipe for vegan peanut butter chocolate chip cookies, but I figured to take out the peanut butter and replace it with cocoa powder instead to make it a double chocolate cookie. I was surprised with the results being so palatable and they really were best when warmed up. They resulted in a softer type of cookie that was still thin enough to have some chewy and crispy edges. So get out your mixers and cookie sheets to make a batch of these up for your next gathering to trick everyone!
Vegan Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Servings: Makes about 16 medium/large cookies Prep Time: 30-35 minutes
- 1/2 cup earth balance vegan butter stick (1 stick)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks (semi-sweet)- extra for preference
- pinch salt
- 1 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream the butter and sugars together on medium speed on stand mixer until lighter in color and fluffy. Scrape sides of bowl occasionally to incorporate.
- Next add in the vanilla extract and cocoa powder to the mixer on low and mix until blended.
- With the mixer on stir, alternate the almond milk and the flour mixture until the dough is fully incorporated. It will be a pretty thick dough.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and gently fold in the chocolate chunks.
- Measuring about 1 heaping Tablespoon per cookie, roll into balls and slightly flatten onto baking sheets. Bake in the oven for around 10-12 minutes, checking to see the edges have browned.
- They will be quite soft when taking out of oven, so slightly cool for 2-3 minutes on the baking pans and then gently remove with spatula onto a cooling rack. Enjoy warm.