Whenever I make salmon and there are leftovers, we either eat it as it is or decide to make something more fun out of it. I like making fresh salmon patties with potato and onion in them (along with some other flavors like dill and lemon). They are pretty quick and easy to make, and are great with a simple side salad for a meal.
My grandmother would like making salmon patties often using canned salmon and they were always delicious to have. It would always be fun to watch how she did it all in one bowl, adding in things I didn’t really know until now when I try to recreate them. I figure to have the leftover salmon be the perfect way to make the salmon patties. Sometimes I have added flour and egg to bind it and make them denser, but if you want a softer salmon patty that melts in your mouth, you can just use the potato and mash it into the mixture.
Zesty Salmon Patties
Servings: Makes 7 medium sized patties Prep Time: 30-40 minutes
- About 1-1.5 cups leftover baked salmon filet, separated into small pieces
- 3 small russet potatoes (or 2 larger)
- half a small onion, diced
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 2 Tablespoons dill, finely chopped (can use parsley if you want)
- pinch cayenne powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- flour for coating the patties to pan fry
- Fill a pot with water and the potatoes. When it comes to a boil, lower the heat to medium and simmer for about 30 minutes or until fork tender. Cool the potatoes and then peel them, and mash with a fork. Set aside.
- Combine the mashed potatoes with the shredded salmon. Add in the spices, mustard, lemon zest and dill. Then gently mix in the onion and lemon juice.
- The mixture should be soft but able to be molded into hand sized or medium patty shapes. Form balls of the mixture and flatten them slightly, still leaving them about an inch thick.
- Have some flour on a plate, and coat the salmon patties on each side and all around with a light dusting of flour, so they won’t stick to the pan when pan-frying and will have a slight crispy outside.
- In a large saute pan, fill with about 1/2 inch vegetable or olive oil (your preference) and heat on medium. Add in the salmon patties and cook on each side until a medium golden brown color, about 5 minutes per side, and when able to easily flip. Be careful as they are delicate. Take out and if you want, can squeeze more lemon on top when fresh and hot out of the pan. Enjoy!