Tofu can take on so many versatile flavors and be in most recipes as a substitute for meat, but I have found that grilling it can bring out some new textures and natural flavors of the tofu. Pairing it with a thai sweet chili sauce makes it taste out of the ordinary from chicken or other meat. However you can grill it plain and accompany it with any glazes or sauces you like.
I haven’t grilled it out on a charcoal grill but just used an indoor grill pan to put on the stove. Brown rice and mixed vegetables are always a nice complement to tofu. On other days I have combined the tofu with different vegetables to make a stir fry (I might add that recipe another time).
It is important when grilling tofu to drain out some of the moisture from it so it doesn’t splatter everywhere. While this is a simple recipe and I use store bought chili sauce, you could attempt to make it on your own from a recipe such as this one. You can complement the subtle flavor of the tofu with things like cilantro and lime (which go great with the thai chili sauce), or even add a crunchy note with crushed peanuts on top. Grilled tofu like this would be a nice topping to cold soba noodle salad as well.
Grilled Tofu with Thai Sweet Chili Sauce (Brown rice, and veggie sides)
Servings: About 3 main servings Prep Time: 30-40 minutes (draining out liquid)
- One 14 ounce container of extra firm tofu (I like using organic brands)
- About 3 Tablespoons of Thai sweet chili sauce (store bought or homemade), can use more or less for preference
- lime wedges
- 2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- sprinkle of sesame seeds to your liking
- For about 30 minutes before grilling, take tofu out of container and drain the liquid. Place a paper towel or some napkins on a plate, and place the tofu block on top. Put some napkins on the top of the tofu as well and then another plate on top. On the top plate, add a heavy object such as a can of tomatoes and let the tofu sit. Every few minutes you can pour out the water that collects in the plate, and do this for about 30 minutes.
- Now you can cut the tofu into triangles or make rectangular pieces. If there is still some moisture, try to blot some of it off with a napkin. You can salt the tofu now for preference.
- Coat your grill pan with oil and heat on high. Add the tofu pieces (a few at a time) in a direction to make some grill marks. Make sure to leave them on the grill pan long enough (about 5 minutes or so each side) to be able to flip them because they can stick if you try to flip them too early.
- Once each batch is done grilling, add a little of the sweet chili sauce each time and coat the tofu. Enjoy with the side dishes, or make any other type of side that you like. Add optional toppings as well.
- Make your brown rice for the side dish (for 3 people, can use 1 cup dried brown rice).
- Saute 1 cup of corn with 1 cup of green string beans, and 1 cup of broccoli if you like as well with 1 clove of garlic until everything is browned a little and softened. First start sauteing the green beans as they take longer to soften, about 10 minutes on medium heat and then add in the garlic, corn and broccoli for 5 more minutes.